Monday, April 25, 2016

Am I a Badass??

     So, I have recently started reading this book suggested to me by a (vegan/cf) friend. It is called You are a Badass, and basically it is a personal development book that encourages the reader to be the best you that you can be. We all know that this is my motto here. I am trying to be the best version of myself that I can possibly be. I just want to say, I love this book! The author doesn't sugar-coat anything, and we seem to be in the same mind set when it comes to accomplishing things. Nothing is ever going to just fall in your lap. If you really  want something, you have to really  work for it. One of my favorite quotes from the book so far is "You're gonna have to push past your fears, fail over and over again and make a habit of doing things you're not so comfy doing". That really hit home for me. I have so much fear of failure that I steer away from most situations because I know that I will be uncomfortable being myself (especially social situations). And it is not about my weight (mostly); it is about being afraid of people looking at me and saying "how could YOU ever be an inspiration, look at yourself". It has always been hard for me to think of myself as any more than I already am. I do not feel that I am really good at anything, although people tell me all the time that I am. I am not saying this for sympathy or the "oh you are good at so many things". I am saying this because I believe it to be true. We all have measured ourselves up against the world for so long that our own sense of self has just vanished. We have been told over and over again that, because of our size, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, that we can't do or be what ever it is that we truly want to be. There is so much I wanted to do with my life that I felt would never be possible because the world has held me back by selling me the idea that, because I am a plus size woman, no one will ever take me seriously. I could never inspire anyone to choose a healthy lifestyle. Who would look at me and say, "she definitely knows what she is talking about when it comes to health"? But I have come to the realization that my attitude toward myself should have nothing to do with what the world is telling me. This book has made me realize "Most people are living in an illusion based on someone else's beliefs" and THAT is what holds us back. Who cares what the world says I should be or do as a plus size woman?!?!? There is so much out there to do and learn; the fact that I am plus size should not factor into that equation at all. Last week, I was having such a hard time with sticking to my routine because I just knew that it didn't matter what I did, I was still going to fail just like I always do. I want to tell you, that is not true. The only reason you will ever fail at anything is because you have convinced yourself that you will. We are responsible for our own outcomes. Hard work will be involved and you may not feel like you can do it everyday, but one step at a time is all it takes to start a change. You just need 21 days to start a habit. 3 weeks of your life to change your life. It's not about pills or magic shakes, it is about changing from the inside out. There may be emotional issues that you struggle with. Before you can start to change the outside, you have to deal with what is going on inside. I am no expert, but I can be there for any of you. If you need that support, reach out to me. I can offer you an ear. The moment that you decide to make a change, that is the moment that YOU ARE A BADASS! It is always about just one thing: being the best you that you can be, So do that for yourself and only for yourself! Then, go inspire someone!

**I really do recommend this book. You can purchase it here**

Bibliography
   Sincero, Jen. You Are a Bad Ass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life. Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment